Short Story-The Unexpected Proposal


As I switched on my phone, cluster of messages started attacking my phone.
23 messages received!
These all messages were from a single person, Vaibhav. I just landed at Agra after having a decent business trip in Singapore. He was going to marry today and he wanted me with him at any cost. Actually that business trip was not planned but it was an emergency and I have to cope with that. As I was about to reply him, my mobile screen blushed
Vaibhav Calling!


“Bhai, Where are you? Do you know that today’s my marriage? Baarat is about to leave yar….”
“Yeah…yeah, I am coming. Are you waiting for me?”
“We are about to leave in 15 minutes. If you’ll be here in 15 minutes then great otherwise, come directly to hotel.”
“My driver is a superman, just reaching there and don’t worry”. I disconnected the phone and commanded the driver to drive as fast as he can at Surya homes, Fatehabad Road, Agra.
My driver is quite mature; he starts the engine after playing my favorite music. The time was moving so fast that those 15 minutes were seemed like 15 second. Still my driver was trying his best to reach 08 km in 15 minutes on most busy road of Agra, M.G Road. One thing I must learn from my driver is his positive thinking .while I was busy watching the roadside views, my mobile again buzzed, Shubhum calling! He’s another member of our gang. He always asks useless questions and his mind is full of confusions and kanjoosi. When I was about to receive the call, he disconnected. Yes! That was a miss call. A Guy working in a multinational still miss calls his friends. Isn’t weird? I called him back and he asked many questions in his single breath.
“Where are you?
Aren’t you coming?
Where is vaibhav?”
“Will you let me speak” I asked irritatingly and my goodness! He gave me the permission. Then I asked him about Akash,our another friend teaches in Anand Engineering College . He told that Akash was very upset and sad because his girlfriend or crush was also going to marry that day. Then I called up Akash and somehow managed to convince him to attend vaibhav’s marriage party. Now, he was also coming.
It took about 20 minutes to reach at vaibhav’s place. I quickly went inside his car and started heading towards the marriage place. It was double excited for this marriage. One excitement that my best buddy was going to marry and other is that there was the first party in my hote after its inauguration.
“so its an arrange marriage or love marriage?” I asked him while moving towards our destination.
“It’s an arrange marriage” answered in very dejected tone.
“Are you happy? “Asked me.
“Yeah, its life and we have to live with it and nobody has time for love in this busy life. I left the flat sharp at 08:30 a.m. and travels almost 20 km to reach office at time. Then work like laborers for the whole day and it took  08:30 p.m again to leave the office.” Said in low tone like he was consoling himself.
“But I have heard that life at Microsoft is great” I said.
“It’s all bullshit, ask somebody like me working in Microsoft. You just heard my schedule and add one more thing to it ‘Work-Pressure’” Said angrily.
Now everything was quiet inside the car and after 30 minutes, we reached.
The car stopped just 500 meter before hotel and the marriage band was already waiting for him with 40 people already playing their instruments. He was made to sit on horse and everybody out there started dancing on the tunes and music of the band accompanying them. But I decided to reach the hotel by car, not with Baarat procession. No, that doesn’t mean I was hungry but I was much excited to view my dreams which were a reality that day.
FLAMBOYANT CHERRY, THE HOTEL. While my car was entering in the parking area of hotel, my chest was puffed in proud after reading the name of my hotel which was shining more than a radiant sun.  As I entered the hotel, I can smell the fragrances of roses and lilies and this was not artificial but flowing from the bunch of natural roses that were making that evening much special.
The first person I met was our manager Shyam. “Welcome sir, we have made all best possible arrangements as you said. Everything is going perfectly and everybody is appreciating our hotel and its decoration……. And it becomes a jaw dropping moment for guests when they hear that it’s just the second day after its inauguration” grinned manager in proud.
“That’s what I want to hear.” I said. “Sir, let’s take a look of the main premise” he pleaded and I agreed.
“Awesome!”
“Sir today is valentine’s day that’s why we decorated like this.” he said.
“14 Feb, it’s strange, how can I forget Valentine’s Day? And even she didn’t bother to call or message me. Vaibhav was right nobody has time for love…..” I lost in my thoughts. Then he continued “Even sir, the dress waiters and waitresses is compatible with today’s theme. The tables are decorated with candles, flowers and love symbols…”
The premise was filled with heart shaped balloons hanging in the air. The air smelled sweet and there was romance in the surroundings. The DJ was playing romantic songs.  Everything out there was red, pink or golden even the couches were heart shaped and the cushions were rose petal shaped. The love was reflecting in everything. There was such a magnificent environment that makes adrenaline rush to the highest level and compelling the young hearts to flutter with mushy feelings. It was so magnetic that everybody would fall in love.
“Hi Nakul”, some unknown but familiar voice came from other side.
“Oh! Hi…..” I replied. She was Gunjan, one of our college classmates.
“What are you doing here? You should be in baarat procession.” Asked her. I smiled. My best answer even for the hardest questions of the world ‘a smile’ but it does’ works in Viva. “So where are you these days?” I inquired.
“Well, I am in Microsoft in Bangalore” a little smile on my as well as her face and continued “I know what will be your next question “. I burst in laughter and said ‘so you and Vaibhav work together?” She replied. “Not just together but we are also working on the same project.”
“That’s great!”
Baarat entered the premise and everybody was dancing except Akash. He was quiet sad and dejected. So I decided to talk him and suggest something to take him back out of his sad memories. He told me that she was also in CS department and he loves her very much. They were the good friend and he was planning to give her a red rose on valentine’s day, she gave him her wedding card, marrying on 14 February that is today.
“Whom she’s going to marry?” I asked Akash.
“I didn’t cared to read her wedding card and reading that card would make me jealous more.” Said Akash.
That Marriage was more than just a wedding. It was like the Alumni Meet. He had invited all the CS batch of FET Agra College. The most center of attraction was Anshu, the pride owner of COREL BOUTIQUE which has branches across India and featuring in Tupperware advertisement of women empowerment these days.
“Hey Miss celebrity, Can I have your autograph please?” asked me to Anshu.
“Hi kool” replied Anshu in her own unique style.” It’s not like that yr….I am not a celebrity”
“Oooh! So…. you are still Bhin-bhini” and both burst into laughter.
Kanika Verma was looking a typical Indian woman. Kanika Vij gone mad dancing on the tunes of band in baarat. She danced till the band stop playing and band master folded his hands and said”Please Ma’am, stop dancing now”. Pratiksha is still the same as she used to be in college. She was busy in communicating her favorite expressions, “Haaaaw”, “Batttameeeez”, “A big smile” and still calls her friends by  “behen” .She was the second happiest woman after the bride in the entire hotel.
As Baraat arrived in the premise, the mother of bride welcomes Vaibhav on the door step with a pooja thali. She applied Tilak on his forehead and performed Aarti  to bless him. Then he proceeds toward the main stage where we all FETians already waiting for him and cracking jokes. Everybody was teasing him except Gunjan. She was looking as if she was not enjoying all that. Then she gathered all her courage and said to vaibhav
“hey!….vaibhav…..How much great time we have spent together….We were friends in college… I got transferred from Microsoft Mumbai to Microsoft Bangalore….I got my flat adjacent to your flat by chance….we both travelled together….we spent weekends all together in malls, cinemas….   ”
There becomes a pin drop silence everywhere. Everybody was looking at Gunjan with their mouths opened. Everybody was surprised. The facial expression of both Vaibhava and Gunjan changed completely like both will begin to cry in some moment.
She continued “I know it’s too late but I don’t want to die with the burden that I cannot express my feelings. At least I would be happy at the end that I expressed my feelings.”
And tears started rolling down to her cheeks. We all were stunned.
“Sorry….but I Love You and Happy Marriage…bye.”
“Gunjan . Please stop. ” yelled Vaibhav.
“Sorry for bothering you.” Replied Gunjan before Vaibhav say anything.
“I want to say that…… It’s not too late yet. I also love you.” Vaibhav while tears in his eyes.
“What?” asked Gunjan in surprise.
“Yes….you heard right. I love You.”said Vaibhav.
She came close to vaibhav and placed a peeper hot slap on his left cheek. Everything was going over the heads. Nobody was able to understand anything. A guy sitting on the stage waiting for her bride to come for Var-Mala ceremony, is proposing some other girl and the girl who proposed him first got a positive answer in reply still slapped on his cheeks. These things were creating a great confusion.
And then she hugged him as tight as she can and said
” You are such a great Fattu…but I love you”
“I Love You too! <3”
“Please don’t start kissing here haan…its still India” I suggested but everybody started laughing.
All of this created a big issue. Now what to do! Vaibhav was firm that he would only marry to Gunjan otherwise not. All the guests, parents of bride and groom, everybody was happy unaware of this entire sudden situation. The big deal was who would inform about this. Everybody there was forcing me to inform about all this. But I cannot take the chance anymore. We collectively decided that vaibhav will inform his parents and my manager will inform to the bride’s parents.
As both the parents got aware with that incident, there was like world war 3. The news was spread like fire in the forest. Everybody was cursing and blaming each other. There were some guests who started judging without knowing the whole incident.
I heard a person talking to Agarwal ji, bride’s father, “If he doesn’t want to marry her then why he did not inform you early. These people are fraud and such people should be sent to jail. If don’t mind my son is also an engineer and working in a good company in Noida and he is at home these days…. ”
“Oh! Shut Up!” and Agarwal ji left. He might not like his cheap idea.
A women in ruby coloured traditional straight cut lehenga was with Agarwal ji and continuously shedding tears from her eyes. Even a child can predict that she was the bride, Agarwal ji’s daughter. Akash came towards me hurriedly. He was very looking very disturbed.
Na….akul….she’s……..she’s ……..yr…..” said agitated Akash.
“Now what happened to you” I asked calmly.
“Aree Yr….She’s Shalini”
“Who Shalini???”. I was about to shout over him.Hewas not making the things clear.
“Shalini….my best friend….my crush yr…..” said nervously.
“But she is bride. OH! My god, she was going to marry Vaibhav.” I said in confused tone.
“What should……..what should I do? Help me yr.” poor Akash in needy tone.
“If Gunjan can, why cannot you? You was about to propose her on Valentine’s Day and today is 14th. At least express yourself in front her.” I suggested him while everybody was laughing on this strange situation.
Akash gathered all her wits started moving towards her. We all also followed akash. Suddenly he stops and said “I don’t have rose.” Shubhum slapped him on his back and said “This is such a tight situation and you are bothering about a Rose, Idiot and remember one thing its always foolishness if you brought a rose to propose the girl and if she refuses, your 25 rupees will get wasted.”
“OH! SHUT UP, Shobha” Everybody shouted.
The flock reached there which was leading by Akash. Now, Akash cleared his throat, held her gaze and started
“Hey Shalini,I want to say something. There comes a time in life when everything becomes crystal clear. That moment came in my life when you joined the faculty. When I first saw you, I felt that you were created by the God only for me. I have no life without you.”
“Now who the hell are you making nonsense her?” Yelled Agarwal ji.
“Papa, He’s Akash. I always told you about and what is this Akash?”Said Shalini.
“I had planned you to propose today. But when you gave me the wedding card, I gave up. But destiny also wants us to be together. I love You.” Said Akash in very romantic tone. I am sure, he reads my blog everyday. I thought.
“I cannot make any decision right now. I want some time and you really love me?” Said shalini to Akash.
“Of course, he loves you.”I interrupted their conversation. She looked towards me and gave a dirty look. “Sorry! My tongue slipped but its truth. ” I said.
“You are my best friend who is very sweet and caring and I am sure you’ll make me to fall in love with you.” Said Shalini with little smile on her face.
“Hurrah! Call Dhol-Walas and let’s dance on Punjabi beats.” Shouted me. This Valentine’s day becomes the best Valentine for Vaibhav and Akash. Both of them got their love unexpectedly in a time when they lose all the hopes and consoling themselves for living their heavyhearted life without their love. This day becomes the most memorable day of my life. Meeting all the old friends, wedding of two best buddies and grand compliments about hotel made the day unforgettable.
“Hey! Nakul, What about you? Now all your friends are either married or engaged, means you don’t tell anything about your GF or fiancé. What exactly your relationship status?” Asked Pratiksha to me.
“Zinda hu yar….Bas kaafi hai.” said wearing a fake smile and left the premise.






No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

I am a passionate blogger. I love Internet surfing and reading & writing about technology and fiction. I have my own ambitions and dreams and working continuously to achieve them. Last and most important I like to stand what I believe in.:)

Popular Posts

Designed By Seo Blogger Templates